- Susan Quinn, ELEANOR AND HICK & Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION
- Overpopulation: Ecological Elephant In The Room?
- Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION & Dr. James Hansen, STORMS OF MY GRANDCHILDREN
- Paul Ehrlich, HOPE ON EARTH & Ryan Mitchell, TINY HOUSE LIVING
- Elizabeth Kolbert, THE SIXTH EXTINCTION & Annalee Newitz, SCATTER, ADAPT AND REMEMBER
- Boris Fishman, A REPLACEMENT LIFE & John Cushman, KEYSTONE AND BEYOND
- John Cushman of Inside Climate News: Keystone XL Pipeline
- Ruth Thomas-Suh, REJECT, Herbert Thomas, THE SHAME RESPONSE TO REJECTION & John Cushman on KXL
- Alan Weisman, COUNTDOWN
- David Bollier on The Commons: GREEN GOVERNANCE & VIRAL SPIRAL
- Richard Heinberg, SNAKE OIL & Bill McKibben, OIL AND HONEY
- Brian Fagan, THE ATTACKING OCEAN & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
- Carl Safina Talks About Offshore Oil & Gas Drilling, Then & Now
- Paolo Bacigalupe (encore), Susan Rockefeller, MISSION OF MERMAIDS & Jason Chin, ISLAND
- Barbara Kingsolver, FLIGHT BEHAVIOR & James Howard Kunstler TOO MUCH MAGIC
- Richard Zacks, ISLAND OF VICE & Stan Cox, LOSING OUR COOL
- Jonathan Koomey, COLD CASH, COOL CLIMATE & Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- William deBuys, A GREAT ARIDNESS & Dave Gardner, GROWTHBUSTERS
- Will Potter, GREEN IS THE NEW RED & David Gessner, MY GREEN MANIFESTO
- John Elder Robison, BE DIFFERENT & Tony Sorgi, The New Earth Archive
- Amy Seidl, FINDING HIGHER GROUND & Matthew Stein, WHEN DISASTER STRIKES
- Jim Motavalli, HIGH VOLTAGE & James Hoggan, CLIMATE COVER-UP
- John Michael Greer, APOCALYPSE NOT & Richard Heinberg, THE END OF GROWTH
- James Workman, HEART OF DRYNESS & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
We talk with conservation biologist and author Carl Safina about Trump’s plan to target offshore waters for massive oil and gas drilling while abolishing safety rules put in place after the Deepwater Horizon blowout in 2010.
But first, we re-play our 2011 interview with Safina talking about his book about the Deepwater Horizon blowout, A Sea In Flames.
If you are listening to this podcastÂ please rate us on iTunes or whichever podcast app youâ€™re using. It really helps to get the word out about this show. Thanks!
The Trump administration announced recently that it plans to open up all US coastal waters to offshore oil and gas drilling — with the exception of Florida where Trump’s property Mar al Lago is located.
At the same time, Trump regulators are proposing to roll back safety measures put in place after the 2010 Deepwater Horizon blowout. That rollback would lessen government oversight in offshore oil production and put more responsibility on private companies.
That didnâ€™t work so well with BPâ€™s Deepwater Horizon, where a 2010 explosion killed 11 people and caused the worst oil spill in American history.
Back in 2011 on the first anniversary of the Deepwater Horizon spill, I spoke with conservation biologist and author Carl Safina about the book he’d just published, A Sea In Flames. We air an edited version of that interview here, followed by a conversation with Safina about Trumpâ€™s recent decision to open up US coastal waters to oil and gas drilling.