- Susan Quinn, ELEANOR AND HICK & Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION
- Overpopulation: Ecological Elephant In The Room?
- Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION & Dr. James Hansen, STORMS OF MY GRANDCHILDREN
- Paul Ehrlich, HOPE ON EARTH & Ryan Mitchell, TINY HOUSE LIVING
- Elizabeth Kolbert, THE SIXTH EXTINCTION & Annalee Newitz, SCATTER, ADAPT AND REMEMBER
- Boris Fishman, A REPLACEMENT LIFE & John Cushman, KEYSTONE AND BEYOND
- John Cushman of Inside Climate News: Keystone XL Pipeline
- Ruth Thomas-Suh, REJECT, Herbert Thomas, THE SHAME RESPONSE TO REJECTION & John Cushman on KXL
- Alan Weisman, COUNTDOWN
- David Bollier on The Commons: GREEN GOVERNANCE & VIRAL SPIRAL
- Richard Heinberg, SNAKE OIL & Bill McKibben, OIL AND HONEY
- Brian Fagan, THE ATTACKING OCEAN & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
- Christian Parenti, TROPIC OF CANCER & Marge Bruchac, 1621
- Paolo Bacigalupe (encore), Susan Rockefeller, MISSION OF MERMAIDS & Jason Chin, ISLAND
- Barbara Kingsolver, FLIGHT BEHAVIOR & James Howard Kunstler TOO MUCH MAGIC
- Richard Zacks, ISLAND OF VICE & Stan Cox, LOSING OUR COOL
- Jonathan Koomey, COLD CASH, COOL CLIMATE & Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- William deBuys, A GREAT ARIDNESS & Dave Gardner, GROWTHBUSTERS
- Will Potter, GREEN IS THE NEW RED & David Gessner, MY GREEN MANIFESTO
- John Elder Robison, BE DIFFERENT & Tony Sorgi, The New Earth Archive
- Amy Seidl, FINDING HIGHER GROUND & Matthew Stein, WHEN DISASTER STRIKES
- Jim Motavalli, HIGH VOLTAGE & James Hoggan, CLIMATE COVER-UP
- John Michael Greer, APOCALYPSE NOT & Richard Heinberg, THE END OF GROWTH
- James Workman, HEART OF DRYNESS & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
Christian Parenti talks about his book, TROPIC OF CHAOS: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence. And Native American storyteller and scholar, Marge Bruchac tells us what really happened at the first Thanksgiving.
A recent report from the World Meteorological Organization shows greenhouse gases hitting record levels, exceeding scientists’ worst-case scenarios.
Most of us make the connection between greenhouse gases and the extreme weather the planet has been having, from record droughts to record floods, hurricanes and more. (84% of Americans now believe that climate change is real and human activity is causing it.) But probably far fewer of us make the connection between climate change and some of the other big problems we face.
Christian Parenti says our endless wars, the spread of failed states, and the explosive growth of the drug trade have some of their roots in climate change.
In his latest book, Tropic of Chaos, Parenti says a catastrophic convergence between climate change, the flood of cheap guns left over from the Cold War, and free market fundamentalism are driving perpetual global conflict. Much of this is happening in the global south. But it’s also leading to a mentality of the armed lifeboat, Parenti says, that’s eroding our freedoms here at home.
Christian Parenti writes for The Nation, and has written for Fortune, The New York Times, the Washington Post, and Mother Jones, among other publications.Â In addition to Tropic of Chaos, Christian Parenti is the author of Lockdown America, The Soft Cage, and The Freedom. He won the 2009 Lange-Tailor Prize and “Best Magazine Writing 2008″ from the Society for Professional Journalists.
Well, it’s Thanksgiving time again — a time when native American storyteller Marge Bruchac gets a lot of requests to talk about the first Thanksgiving, when the English settlers got together with the Wampanoag natives of Massachusettsfor a feast. The year was 1621. Bruchac co-authored the book, 1621: A New Look At Thanksgiving. WV talked with her in 2005.
Marge Bruchac is an Anthropologist, Historian, and Museum Consultant. She’s also a Performer of Algonkian Indian Music and Oral Traditions. Among other books, she’s the author of the children’s book, MALIAN’S SONG.