[amazon-product align=”right”]0757000916[/amazon-product]From cookbook author Leslie Cerier. Listen to Francesca’s interview with Leslie here.
Ingredients: 2 1/2 cups frsh or frozen rasberries, 2 cups almond milk, 1 cup plain yoghurt, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Pour into glasses and serve.
For a Change:
* Substitute pitted cherries, peaches or blueberries for the rasberries.
From cookbook author Leslie Cerier. Listen to Francesca’s interview with Leslie here.
Ingredients: 2 Tbs flaxseeds, 2 ripe bananas, 1 1/2 cups vanilla soymilk, 1 Tbs honey, 2 tsp safflower, almond or canola oil, 1 1/2 cups teff flour, 1 Tbs baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place flaxseeds in a blender and grind until powdery. Add bananas, soymilk, vanilla, noney, and 1 tsp of the oil. Blend well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Heat the griddle, cast iron skillet, or large frying pan over medium heat. If it doesn’t have a nonstick surface, brush with remaining oil. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the hot griddle and cook 1 and 1/2 minutes, or until the tops are bubbly and the edges are dry. Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over and cook another minute, or until the bottoms are brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite topping.
For a Change
- Add 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Use maple sugar or rice syrup instead of honey.
- Replace soymilk with juice.
- Add 2 eggs to blender with bananas for added protein [note from Writer’s Voice: this also made the pancakes spread easier in the pan.]
Environmentalist Bill McKibben talks about DEEP ECONOMY: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future. You can read Writers’ Voice host Francesca Rheannon’s review of the book here.
Also, naturalist writer David Gessner returns to Writer’s Voice to talk about his new book, SOARING WITH FIDEL: An Osprey Odyssey From Cape Cod to Cuba and Beyond.
In this archived edition of Writer’s Voice, we podcast two interviews from June of 2006. We talk with David Sirota about HOSTILE TAKEOVER: How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government–and How We Take It Back. It’s as relevant today as it was then.
Then we hear from Michelle Goldberg about KINGDOM COMING: The Rise of Christian Nationalism. It’s just out in paperback with an updated introduction.
Also, Bill MacLeish reads from UPHILL WITH ARCHIE, his memoir of his father, poet and playwright, Archibald MacLeish. Writer’s Voice host Francesca Rheannon recorded it at “Five Writers on a Sense of Place”, and event in March of 2007 put on by the Pioneer Valley Institute.
Author Jeanne Braham and illustrator Barry Moser talk about THE LIGHT WITHIN THE LIGHT: Portraits of Donald Hall, Richard Wilbur, Maxine Kumin, and Stanley Kunitz.
We also hear an excerpt from an archived interview with Maxine Kumin, and the poet reads from JACK AND OTHER NEW POEMS.