From cookbook author Leslie Cerier. Listen to Francesca’s interview with Leslie here.
Ingredients: 2 Tbs flaxseeds, 2 ripe bananas, 1 1/2 cups vanilla soymilk, 1 Tbs honey, 2 tsp safflower, almond or canola oil, 1 1/2 cups teff flour, 1 Tbs baking powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place flaxseeds in a blender and grind until powdery. Add bananas, soymilk, vanilla, noney, and 1 tsp of the oil. Blend well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- Heat the griddle, cast iron skillet, or large frying pan over medium heat. If it doesn’t have a nonstick surface, brush with remaining oil. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the hot griddle and cook 1 and 1/2 minutes, or until the tops are bubbly and the edges are dry. Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over and cook another minute, or until the bottoms are brown.
- Serve immediately with your favorite topping.
For a Change
- Add 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Use maple sugar or rice syrup instead of honey.
- Replace soymilk with juice.
- Add 2 eggs to blender with bananas for added protein [note from Writer’s Voice: this also made the pancakes spread easier in the pan.]