- Susan Quinn, ELEANOR AND HICK & Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION
- Overpopulation: Ecological Elephant In The Room?
- Naomi Oreskes, THE COLLAPSE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION & Dr. James Hansen, STORMS OF MY GRANDCHILDREN
- Paul Ehrlich, HOPE ON EARTH & Ryan Mitchell, TINY HOUSE LIVING
- Elizabeth Kolbert, THE SIXTH EXTINCTION & Annalee Newitz, SCATTER, ADAPT AND REMEMBER
- Boris Fishman, A REPLACEMENT LIFE & John Cushman, KEYSTONE AND BEYOND
- John Cushman of Inside Climate News: Keystone XL Pipeline
- Ruth Thomas-Suh, REJECT, Herbert Thomas, THE SHAME RESPONSE TO REJECTION & John Cushman on KXL
- Alan Weisman, COUNTDOWN
- David Bollier on The Commons: GREEN GOVERNANCE & VIRAL SPIRAL
- Richard Heinberg, SNAKE OIL & Bill McKibben, OIL AND HONEY
- Brian Fagan, THE ATTACKING OCEAN & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
- Adapting to, Controlling and Solving The Climate Crisis
- Paolo Bacigalupe (encore), Susan Rockefeller, MISSION OF MERMAIDS & Jason Chin, ISLAND
- Barbara Kingsolver, FLIGHT BEHAVIOR & James Howard Kunstler TOO MUCH MAGIC
- Richard Zacks, ISLAND OF VICE & Stan Cox, LOSING OUR COOL
- Jonathan Koomey, COLD CASH, COOL CLIMATE & Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- Philip Warburg, HARVEST THE WIND
- William deBuys, A GREAT ARIDNESS & Dave Gardner, GROWTHBUSTERS
- Will Potter, GREEN IS THE NEW RED & David Gessner, MY GREEN MANIFESTO
- John Elder Robison, BE DIFFERENT & Tony Sorgi, The New Earth Archive
- Amy Seidl, FINDING HIGHER GROUND & Matthew Stein, WHEN DISASTER STRIKES
- Jim Motavalli, HIGH VOLTAGE & James Hoggan, CLIMATE COVER-UP
- John Michael Greer, APOCALYPSE NOT & Richard Heinberg, THE END OF GROWTH
- James Workman, HEART OF DRYNESS & Christine Shearer, KIVALINA
Harvey Wasserman tells us about SOLARTOPIA, his vision of 2030â€™s clean energy world. And ecologist Amy Seidl tells us how we can adapt to climate change while trying to control it. Her book is EARLY SPRING.
This week, the worldâ€™s nations are meeting at the UN Climate talks in Copenhagen. Hopefully, they will be able to hammer out an agreement that will keep climate change within safe limits. Despite a few holdouts on the margins — â€œclimategateâ€ notwithstanding — the worldâ€™s scientists agree that climate change is real and itâ€™s already happening. And the science says time is running out: we have to cut CO2 emissions drastically over the next decade or so. Recently top German scientists reported hertsgaard that the US had to cut emissions 100% by 2020; Europe, China and India by 2030; and the rest of the world by 2050. Otherwise, global temperatures will rise by more than 2 degrees centigrade — and climate change will be out of control.
[sniplet amazon bookstore widget]
Cutting emissions that drastically isnâ€™t as hard as you might think. Harvey Wasserman says we could have a â€œSolartopiaâ€. Itâ€™s a world run on clean, renewable energy using just the technology we have today. Nobody starves, there are no more wars for oil, all education is free, agriculture is based on sustainable small farms, schools grow their own lunch and produce their own power, everything produced is recycled, mass transit is abundant, and solar housing is available to all. Our big cities are squeaky clean and grow much of their own food. And all this is possible by 2030.
Links to Stuff Mentioned on the Show:
- Solaire Building
- Conde Nast Building
- C-Bed Community-based Energy Development
- [amazon-product text=”SOLARTOPIA! Our Green-Powered Earth, A.D. 2030″ type=”text”]0975340247[/amazon-product]
We also air this archived interview with Amy Seidl about EARLY SPRING: An Ecologist and Her Children Wake to a Warming World.
Do Something About Climate Change